[CT Birds] Red Wings

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 31 11:23:17 EDT 2015

There's a second and much larger push of CT coastal Red-wings now (ie, early November).  Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch will often get dawn numbers in the tens of thousands, in a couple hours' time.  Grackles will also move with them (in the hundreds of thousands, and at least once recently, an estimated 3 million!).  They look like miles of smoke on the eastern horizon, and it's a spectacle well worth the cold temperatures and the early hour.

I hope you don't get these kinds of numbers at your feeder, that might be inconvenient!

Red-wing Blackbirds can be common up until coastal Christmas Counts as well.  I think that by early December, they are much  rarer inland.

Steve MayoBethany