[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge 11/8: 175 Raptors inc 5 GOLDEN EAGLES + 55 Red-Shoulders

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 22:24:20 EST 2015

After this week's extremely warm temperatutes we finally got the cold snap
and hawk flight we wanted. The obvious highlights were 5 GOLDEN EAGLES (all
juveniles), 4 of which were seen in pairs of 2. The first two were at 9:20
AM and the second 2 were at 12:30. The third Golden was seen simultaneously
with the second pair but not in the same field of view. A very possible 6th
Golden was seen far to our south but in terrible lighting. Aside from the
Goldens we finally had a good Red-Shouldered Hawk flight with 55 seen
today. Many however were distant to our south so we likely missed many
birds closer to the coast. Good numbers of Grackles continue as well with
13,490 counted. Full hawk count report on hawkcount.org:

https://www.hawkcount.org/day_summary.php?rsite=149&ryear=2015&rmonth=11&rday=08