[CT Birds] East Rock Park--Bald Eagle and winter arrivals

Kimberly Jannarone kimberlyjannarone at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:15:31 EST 2015

Dear Birders,

I spent a warm and clear morning today birding around the athletic field at East Rock Park.  I meant to move on, but the area by the river was so rewarding that in two hours I never went farther than the end of the field and the Orange Street bridge.  Lots of "patch firsts" for me, including two DARK-EYED JUNCOS, which I feel I've been waiting a punishingly long time to see here.

In the clear blue sky, an apparent second-year BALD EAGLE flew slowly over, with mottled back, white axillaries, and a dark tail band.  Two loose flocks of about 40 FISH CROWS flew over, calling.  Woodpeckers made a good show, with DOWNY, RED-BELLIED, a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in first-year plumage, and a surprise NORTHERN FLICKER which called several times and seemed a bit late, looking at area records.

One WINTER WREN crept around the leafy bank of the river.  Some YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS hawked from the trees overhanging the water, and an EASTERN TOWHEE called persistently from the thicket.  Two WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS foraged near two SONG SPARROWS, and several HERMIT THRUSHES ate berries near the hordes of ROBINS.

In all, 25 species, plus one gull and one accipiter that got away--felt like a satisfying haul for that tiny area.

Good birding,
Kimberly Jannarone
New Haven