[CT Birds] Stratford Point November birds/pics

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Tue Nov 3 16:09:33 EST 2015

It's been predictably quieter at Stratford Point as we enter November,
but here's a lovely Blue-headed Vireo from yesterday:
http://rtpi.org/blue-headed-vireo/

And a close Field Sparrow today: http://rtpi.org/field-sparrow/

Waterfowl continues to be a little less diverse than usual by now and
certainly minimal in abundance - not surprising considering
regional/local conditions. Harriers pass in and out, but we have not
found any Short-eared Owls on site yet. We've had a subtle little
irruption of feeder species that continues now with some Downy
Woodpecker, Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch and the like
passing through in low numbers. An occasional Pine Siskin or Purple
Finch has come through Stratford, and small numbers of Snow Buntings and
American Pipits persist. We have some lingering Yellow-rumped Warblers
though the rest are about done. Laughing Gulls are slowly (probably,
finally) moving out along with a few more shorebird species as
Sanderling and Dunlin build.

It's mostly what we expect for the date with a variance in abundance
here and there. November certainly is rarity time, and all this air
moving up from the south will bring Connecticut something for this
weekend. I was intrigued by the reports of massive Redpoll movements at
the Tadoussac Bird Observatory near the end of the St. Lawrence River in
Quebec. They had a total of 70,000 migrate through on October 26-28,
with another 55,000 on Halloween. We shall see...

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
skruitbosch at rtpi.org