[CT Birds] A few more Cave Swallows and more on FRGUs

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 20:33:02 EST 2015

This evening I had three Cave Swallows moving west down the beach at
Silver Sands in Milford. I looked for a roost along some nearby
pavilions/houses and then around the homes at Milford Pt but could not
find any roosting birds. It's going to be a bit chilly tonight, so it
may be worth checking under the roosts in the morning for deceased
swallows, which would make useful museum specimens.

I know that some folks are still in search of Franklin's Gulls. Since
they've mostly, but hopefully not entirely, emptied out of here
already, it would probably be worth chasing any bird that is reported
on the ground. As far as finding your own, I can think of two
strategies. First, you could scour every inch of the coast (west is
probably best) while checking every gull flock in search of a roosting
bird until you find one, or you could set up shop at one of the
locations they have been frequenting (like Seaside Park in Bridgeport)
and stand vigil, which would including checking roosts as they turn
over and scanning offshore for migrating or feeding individuals.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com