[CT Birds] Great Skua Sunken Island Fairfield and more..

Ian Devlin captain_ian at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 19:24:31 EST 2015

While fishing blitzes of Striped Bass and Bluefish under about 1000 mixed Laughing Gulls and Herring Gulls I saw...a Great Skua! Brown, Herring Gull sized with white patches towards the end of its wings. Was chasing a Laughing Gull with a baby bunker in its bill.

Went home to further research a Great Skua in all my bird books and also see them in flight on YouTube. It was a Great Skua. A lifer for me!

Oldsquaw, Black Scoter, White-winged Scoter, Red-breasted Merganser, Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, TONS of Laughing Gulls, Herring Gulls, Great Black-backed Gulls, Bonaparte's Gull, Double-crested Cormorants, and a Bald Eagle in that area on over to the west along the shoreline. Also, 2 Harbor Seals.

Capt. Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT.

Sent from my iPhone