[CT Birds] No Franklin's Stratford now, but thoughts

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Nov 13 13:34:08 EST 2015

The Short Beach group looks to have had a dozen Franklin's Gulls close
to shore, and I had a peak of 14 in simultaneous view (ten of those with
the other four being along the breakwater).

In reality there were likely 16 at the time since they had up to 12 in
that group (I couldn't see as well as they could as they were at Short
Beach after I had spotted that group from Stratford Point and could not
believe my eyes, and we got focused on getting everyone a look at them)
and probably something like 20 on the day. Before I go over this more
mentally, I will be going with my definite high of 14 in reports later.

I hope that makes sense...you know, it's hard to keep track of all these
Franklin's Gulls, what else is new...I'm guessing more to come with the
tide going down.

And again, if there are this many Franklin's Gulls, what else is out
there? Lots of birds moving, literally. Northern Gannet, Bonaparte's
Gull, Merlin, Northern Harriers, Snow Buntings, American Pipits, all at
Stratford Point while watching basically just the breakwater and cove.
Cave Swallows anyone? Find megas.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator
311 Curtis Street