[CT Birds] Comment on optics cleaning

Jerry Connolly birdshop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 19 09:43:53 EST 2015

Thanks for posting the optics cleaning vid, Frank.  I’ve seen some pretty gritty lenses come through our shop - dirty lenses really do affect the clarity of the optics!

A couple of comments…
In the vid Bill mentions a soft brush to remove debris from the glass.  This doesn’t always work with wet sand or grit that dries on the lens.  The best and very safest way to remove material from lenses is … your tongue!  I recommend licking the lens thoroughly, then using a CLEAN micro-fibre cloth to buff.  Sounds disgusting, but it really works!  Better to have a teeny bit of debris on the tongue, rather than grinding it in to the glass and seriously damaging your optics.  In the field, that’s often all you have to do.  At home, you can take your time and do a more thorough job with a suitable lens cleaner.

I also agree that the objective (large lens) caps often get in the way.  I only use them in an airline carry-on situation.  However, most bins these days come with a single cap called rain-guard that covers both oculars (eyepieces).  I would strongly recommend using this and keeping it attached to the strap.  It comes in very handy on days like today (60% chance of rain), and while eating.  Some rain-guards come with strap holders on both sides.  Choose one side to attach your strap to so that you can quickly flip it to one side when looking through the bins.  Avoid attaching it to both sides or the rain-guard will be in your way when removed, winding up on your chin or in your mouth!

Clean optics make for happy observers!

Message: 8