[CT Birds] Yellow bellied sapsucker

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 11:19:15 EST 2015

The short answer is that YB Sapsucker is a northern bird and is expanding its breeding range southward.  It was once an uncommon nester in Connecticut, but is increasing greatly.  They are a common in migration in early spring in late fall all over Connecticut.  They should only be around in the summer where they nest - in the northern part of the state.  On the coast, they are a winter bird and are also increasing.  When I started birding in the early 90's, I had to go to a spot along the Connecticut River to see them.  Now they are expected in my Mystic yard all winter.  They are also found every year during all of the coastal CBCs in which I participate.
Glenn WilliamsMystic