[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club December Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 11:54:17 EST 2015

Folks, please note the following schedule of December NHBC activities.  Also, please check the website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

Indoor Meetings:

Thursday December 10 — Brad Winn.  Meeting Shorebirds Halfway: Managing Hemispheric Travelers.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public. We have the ability to make things better for shorebirds: We know enough, and we are learning more every day, to maintain and rebuild shorebird populations back to healthy numbers. This optimism holds true for shorebirds that nest on our beaches, as well as those that are passing through on their way to and from the Far North. With the recent listing of Red Knot under the Endangered Species Act, public and regulatory attention has been drawn to a shorebird that doesn’t nest here, yet whose survival is heavily dependent upon our stewardship and management practices. Brad, Director of Shorebird Habitat Management at the  Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences in Plymouth, MA, will talk about these long-distance migrants, “wind birds,” that rely on finding high quality habitat between the tundra and the tropics. He’ll show photographs of the birds and the landscapes these birds need, and will explain some  strategies to ensure these birds are still flying for centuries to come. The shorebirds are strongly in favor of these efforts.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org <http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/> or call 203-331-6067.

The next book the NHBC Book Group will be reading is H Is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald.  The date for the discussion will be Tuesday, December 8th from 7-9 in the 6th floor Conference Room at Whitney Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Kris Johnson, 203-288-3087  kriswaxwing99 at gmail.com <mailto:kriswaxwing99 at gmail.com>

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday, December 2, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  An Any time of year, Hammonasset is a true gem. Enjoy a mid-week trip to explore this birding hotspot for fall migrants. The varied habitat  attracts  shorebirds,  waterfowl,  raptors,  and  songbirds.  Meet outside the park at the new Hammonasset parking lot on the Post Rd.  New Directions: Take Exit 61 off I-95 (the usual Hammonasset Park exit). At the end of the connector when you face the main park entrance at the traffic light, go left (east) onto Boston Post Rd. (Rt. 1). The new parking lot is the first right, a short distance away. Leader: Jerry Connolly: 203-710-2011 (cell), 203-421-4128 (home) or  birdshop at sbcglobal.net <mailto:birdshop at sbcglobal.net>.

Moodus Reservoir, Bashan Lake, Moodus/East Haddam area.  Sunday, December 13, 2015, 8:00 A.M.  Free and open to the public.  We travel to a variety of birding hotspots in the Moodus/East Haddam area a week prior to the Salmon River Christmas Bird Count. Since the mid-1980s, our CBC team has developed great familiarity with the fields, forests, farmlands, reservoirs, and wetlands of this section of the Salmon River CBC circle. Our target species will include waterfowl, inland Common Loon, Bald Eagle, Killdeer, woodpeckers, Eastern Phoebe, Palm Warbler, and sparrows.  Meet in Moodus at the Nathan Hale Plaza Shopping Center on Rt. 149, a short distance east of the intersection of Rt. 149 and North Moodus Road/William F. Palmer Rd. and also a little east of the intersection of Rts. 149 and 151.  Leader: Steve Broker: 203-747-6843,  Ls.Broker at cox.net <mailto:Ls.Broker at cox.net> or www.newhavenbirdclub.org <http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/> for more information.

116th Annual New Haven Christmas Bird Count. Saturday, December 19, 2015.  Join other NHBC members in this fun event, steeped in tradition. Take part for a few hours or all day. Join birders in the field or report what you see in your backyard (if you reside within the count circle).  The results  of  the  count  are sent to  the National Audubon Society for inclusion in an international census of early winter bird populations.  The compilation dinner is at the Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden starting about 5:00 PM. For details, contact Chris Loscalzo at 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net <mailto:closcalz at optonline.net> or visit www.newhavenbirdclub.org <http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/> for more information.

Thanks,

Larry Bausher

West Haven