[CT Birds] Honey bees and feeders

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 12:32:51 EST 2015

I have noticed a lot of seed on the ground under a hopper feeder that has a weight sensitive perched to keep out big birds and squirrels.  This has not happened in the past and I could not figure out why.  The feeder is filled with mixed seed.  Today I noticed a lot of bees around the feeders and took a closer look.  Honey bees are sifting through the seed at the mouth of the hopper and inadvertently pushing it to the ground.  There are also bees in the seed on the ground.  They seem to be focused on the corn but also glean the other seed types.  They move the seed quickly around their mouths and move on to another.  They are also around the black oil sunflower seed feeders in smaller numbers.
Has anyone else seen this before?  What food are they getting?
Glenn WilliamsMystc, CT