[CT Birds] Cackling Geese

C.S.Wood woodplanning at charter.net
Thu Nov 26 08:29:42 EST 2015

I think I had posted these pics https://flic.kr/s/aHskpoWPu4  of an earlier
Cackling Goose in Woodbury; they show the head and bill shape distinction,
although I don't see the "frostier" mantle that Greg mentions - could just
be the quality of the photos though.  Looking at Sibley's illustrations of
Richardson's and at my photos it appears an additional field mark is the
wing vs. tail length: on Cackling the primaries extend beyond the tail
whereas on Canada (including Lesser) they are shorter or approximately the
same.  Have others used that field mark?

Chris Wood

Woodbury, Connecticut

woodplanning at charter.net <mailto:woodplanning at charter.net>

203 556-0654 (mobile)