[CT Birds] Pilgrims - pheasants?

Angela Dimmitt angeladimmitt at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 14:29:33 EST 2015

Ever wonder why the pilgrims at Plymouth didn't serve pheasant at their thanksgiving?  When they first went ashore, one was calling in the woods, according to National Geographic's television special this past week.  So I can only presume they had eaten them all by then, extirpating the North American race in 1620.  There was also an owl calling one night, but I could not identify it, certainly not the usual great horned found around the world on film.

Angela Dimmitt
New Milford