[CT Birds] Pilgrims and pheasants

David F Provencher (Generation - 4) david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Dec 1 14:09:58 EST 2015

Angela you have touched a chord here. As birders, it is our curse (let's be melodramatic!) to watch movies or television knowing bird calls and song. I find it jarring when the post production audio includes clunkers such as the pheasant you noted. Watching movies and television often requires suspension of disbelief to get involved in improbable (or impossible) plot lines. We birders will be enraptured watching fanciful monsters rise out of a desert... till a Common Loon calls in the background. We will become lost in the struggle of some super hero with fantastical powers battling evil demons in New York... till we hear a Cactus Wren churring in an alley. That's when we say "Hey! How stupid is that!" And when it's an alien planet covered with Mourning Warblers in the shrubberies, well I just turn the TV off in a huff!

To be fair, there are restrictions on what wildlife recordings can and can't be used legally or economically in these productions. Still, I agree whole heartedly with you Angela, National Geographic should be making an effort. At least till Rupert Murdoch totally trashes it, now that he owns it.

Dave Provencher

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it.  Thank you.