[CT Birds] COA Sea Duck Workshop report

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Tue Dec 1 08:08:55 EST 2015

A little belatedly, the following is a summary of the COA Sea Duck Workshop,
held this past Saturday at Hammonasset State Park in Madison:

Eleven participants reviewed the ID characteristics of about 25 species of
birds found on the CT shore in winter.  We then looked out into the sound at
Meigs Point and along the Moraine Trail.  Notable observations included a
drake Common Eider and a close-in flock of Surf Scoter at the end of the
Moraine Trail.  We watched the scoters interacting with each other and were
close enough to them that we could hear the whir of their wings when they
flew!  There were many Red-throated Loons in the sound, including a juvenile
bird close to shore.  There were also Common Loons, Double-crested
Cormorants, and Red-breasted Mergansers. Non-sea duck species of interest
included two Northern Gannets (one adult and one immature), a Bonaparte's
Gull, and five species of shorebirds: Greater Yellowlegs, Black-bellied
Plover, Sanderling, Dunlin, and Ruddy Turnstone. A good time was had by all.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge