[CT Birds] Bantam Rustys

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 11:39:36 EST 2015

Worth noting that there's a small flock of Rusty Blackbirds that have been present consistently for a few weeks in the Buttonbush swamp along the north side of Point Folly and adjacent Northshore Road at Bantam L. in Litchfield. These birds can bury themselves in the swamp but also feed in the open at times. A couple of days ago I walked onto the Point without seeing or hearing them, but when I came back out four of them (2 males and 2 females) were feeding right along the road edge at the entrance to the Point.
This is also a good spot to see Pileated Woodpeckers, anywhere from the Point parking lot back to the Bantam R. bridge. On the day I saw the Rustys, a Pileated allowed close approach while tapping in a big oak on the edge of the small parking area.
Greg HanisekWaterbury