[CT Birds] Stratford CACKLING GOOSE, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 9 07:26:57 EST 2015

12/6  Stratford, Freeman Ave., Wooster Park pond - One (possibly two) CACKLING GOOSE ((Richardson's hutchinsii race, confirmed by goose expert Steve Mlodinow) among about 200 Canada Geese.  Also female NORTHERN PINTAIL, pair GREEN-WINGED TEAL, 400 Mallards.  The goose flock and Mallards were still there 12/8, but I didn't have time to look for the Cackling. Photos here:http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26150908

12/8 Miscellaneous incidental sightings:  1 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER continues on sandbar in Housatonic River off Milford Point/Short Beach.  Banded Herring Gull ("65F") at Short Beach, Stratford.Pair WOOD DUCKS at Pecks Mill Pond, Stratford (CT-110, River Road).No sign of the Hudsonian Godwit (or any other shorebirds) at Stratford Marina at high tide.Johnson Creek, Bridgeport (exit 30 northbound I-95) had 14 GREATER YELLOWLEGS on boat docks.
Frank Mantlik