[CT Birds] Northern Harrier

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 13 14:31:33 EST 2015

Hi Mike,

Context, habitat, and behavior rules out Northern Harrier, a large owl-faced vole-eating hawk of open fields and coastal marshes.

This blue-jay harraser is a bird-hawk, an accipiter.

I'm thinking a sharp-shinned hawk on this one.  The base of the nape is dark and the outer tail feathers appear to be the same size of the other retrices.
Keep the photos coming!
Steve MayoBethany