[CT Birds] Probable "Western" Flycatcher, Branford

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Sat Dec 19 10:57:41 EST 2015

Probable Pacific Slope/Western Flycatcher, Branford, Saturday 10:45

Steve Mayo, Howie Steinberg and Jim Cortina called me to describe a yellowish Empid they just saw c.10:45.
Based on the description, it sounds like a "Western" Flycatcher. It was seen well but subsequently lost in shrub. It is likely still in the area.

It is at an old abandoned school at the corner of Jefferson and Bourbon Road. The school is obvious. There is a parking lot type area behind and the bird was seen along the edge of this before being lost into an area of phragmites on the hillside.

It would be worthwhile for folks to check this spot since those guys had to leave. Thanks to Steve for calling and letting me put the news out quickly.

Obviously further views and photos should be obtained to confirm the identification.