[CT Birds] No Tundra Swan, yes on the Western Flycatcher

Andrew Block ablock22168 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 20 19:34:23 EST 2015

Went to try for the Tundra Swan in Haddam again for the third time and once again it wasn't in view.  There were lots of swans on Cove Rd. but no Tundra.  On the way to Haddam I stopped at Branford Hills to see the Western Flycatcher and as soon as we got there around 8:30am it was there giving great views right at waist level in the sun on the side with the reeds adjacent to the school lot.  On the way home we stopped by again to see the flycatcher at about 4pm.  It wasn't in the usual place probably b/c the sun was now over on the other side of the school along Jefferson.  It took a little time but it was refound in the apple try on the hill between the school and the upper field.  It was there for a few minutes and then flew across Jefferson into the shrubs along that road.  It was still there when we left about 4:20pm.  A very nice bird and the second seen by us in the NY/CT area in less than two months.
Andrew Andrew v. F. Block
Consulting Naturalist/Wildlife Biologist
20 Hancock Avenue, Apt. 3
Yonkers, Westchester Co., New York 10705-4629
Phone: 914-963-3080; Cell: 914-319-9701