[CT Birds] CBCs and rarities

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:07:03 EST 2015

With the first big CBC weekend approaching, I thought it might be
worth mentioning that this late autumn's warm weather could make for a
very interesting count period, at least early on. It is likely that
the warm weather has allowed the survival of many species that would
otherwise perish or be forced to move on. Note the continuing Westport
Ash-throated Flycatcher, Paul's report of inland Redstart and
Black-and-white Warbler the other day, a late movement of Cave
Swallows, a Swainson's Hawk on Staten Island, NY...there are more
examples. Insectivores obviously benefit most from this situation.
Indeed, October-November weather has persisted well into December this
year, and there may be several birds typical of that Oct-Nov rarity
season still out there waiting to be found. Keep an open mind.

There will be a brief blast of cool/cold weather for a day or two this
weekend, but perhaps not cold or prolonged enough to have much effect,
as temps will again rebound well into the 50s next week.

This is just an educated guess, but my bet is that we'll see an
above-average haul of rarities on this year's counts. Good luck to
everyone.

Also of note, I know that it is an old CBC tradition for some folks to
keep their rarities quiet until compilation. Hopefully nowadays this
happens less often, as cell phones allow most people to report
directly from the field. Not that it does me any good, as I'll be
working pretty much all weekend, but I know that many others will be
eager to hear about any newly discovered goodies.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com