[CT Birds] Norwalk East Area, Westport CBC Highlights

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 20 23:28:00 EST 2015

12/20.  Along with Chris Bosak and Larry Flynn (in part), we tallied 56 species in our Norwalk East area of the 2015 Westport CBC today.  There were some amazing misses, such as BC Chickadee, WB Nuthatch, coastal shorebirds, and cormorants. But highlights were several:- 12 Wood Ducks (Norwalk River, upstream).- Eurasian Wigeon and pair adult Peregrine Falcons (Norwalk River at Maritime Aquarium).- Nashville Warbler and 2 Orange-crowned Warblers (Oyster Shell Park).- 6 Northern Shovelers (14-Acre Pond).- Am. Woodcock, Gray Catbird, 2 Fox Sparrows (Taylor Farm Park).- Common Raven (Calf Pasture Beach).
The Westport CBC overall today tallied about 108 species, with other highlights being:another Eurasian Wigeon (Ash Creek, Fairfield), Northern Gannet, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Bald Eagles, Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Ash-throated Flycatcher, 2 Marsh Wrens, Brown Thrasher, five species of warblers including Tennessee, a 3rd Orange-crowned, and Pine; Dickcissel, and Pine Siskin. Also count-week Cave Swallow.
A great day.
photos:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/
Our eBird list:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26382526

Frank MantlikStratford