[CT Birds] Napatree CBC highlights 12/27

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 20:48:01 EST 2015

Here are the highlights for today's Napatree CBC.  The count straddles the RI/CT border on the shore.  I apologize for lack of details on some sightings. We had 113 species and two more for count week as of right now,  The weather was less than accommodating, especially for night birding and sea-watching, but some good birds were found none the less.

Western Tanager - Overlook Drive, Watch Hill, RI
Red-headed Woodpecker - Burlingame Campground, RI
American Oystercatcher - Napatree Point, RI
Orange-crowned Warbler - Napatree Point, RI
Black-headed Gull - Stonington Point, CT
Pacific Loon - Quonochontaug Point, RI
Sterna sp.- Quonochontaug, RI
Harlequin Duck (7) - Quonochontaug, RI
American Bittern (3) - Quonochontaug, RI; Col Willie  Cove, Watch Hill, RI; Stonington. CT private property
Laughing Gull (3) - (2 )Weekapaug and Quonochontaug, RI
Yellow-breasted Chat (3) - (2 )Watch Hill, RI private property, Noyes Rd, Weekapaug, RI
Palm Warlber - Ashaway, RI
Common Yellowthroat (3) - Stonington, CT private property
Black Vulture (20) - Ashaway, RI
Rusty Blackbird (35) - Bradford, RI
Wilson's Snipe - Barn Island, Stonington, CT
Greater Yellowlegs - Stonington, CT private property
Redheads (10) - Chapman Pond, Westerly, RI
Fox Sparrow (42)
Purple Finch (5)
Fish Crow (6) Watch Hill, RI - tough for this count
Great Egret - count week

On behalf of head compiler Shai Mitra, we thank all participants for their help and dedication.

Glenn Williams
Mystic, CT