[CT Birds] Pink- footed Goose, Broad brook Mill Pond

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Sun Dec 27 13:14:29 EST 2015

12/27 11AM Relocated probable Pink-footed Goose, Broad Brook Mill pond, Depot Rd. East Windsor
Also had 1 Greater White-fronted goose for good comparison.
Pink-footed smaller, dark head with the dark bill with pink towards the  black tip. Silvery  color to back while GWFG was more brown backed and of course pink footed lacked the white forehead. and after watching for a half hour it finally began grooming and I could pick out flashes of what looked like pink legs.
When I arrived at 10 AM literally 15 Canada's were all that were present but I could hear a din in the distance and over the next 15 minutes the pond literally filled up with 100's of geese. It then took a lot of scoping to eventually find my target way in the back near the phragmites. By 11:30 half the birds had left again including the GWFG (I watched him fly out) but the Pink-footed was still there when I left at 11:45.
Jan in Somers