[CT Birds] Goldeneyes, mergansers, buffleheads + in Poquetanuck Cove Estuary (Gales Ferry)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Jan 3 15:56:50 EST 2016

This afternoon in just over an hour of searching there were two dozen give or take a few of the following:  buffleheads on the Thames River, having the river to themselves;  hooded mergansers along with less than ten red-breasted; common goldeneyes inside the cove as well.  A flock of a hundred fish crows circled about from crop fields nearby.  The diving ducks are all keeping to the shallows, submerged without needing to show themselves, so I was lucky to count what I did on my way out.
Brian Williams
Griswold