[CT Birds] Moosup

elphick at sbcglobal.net elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 3 20:24:30 EST 2016

The Moosup section of the Trailwoods CBC felt like April today, with chickadees singing away as though setting up territory. Moosup Pond, which is frequently frozen, had 3 pied-billed grebes, common & hooded merganser, buffleheads and >50 black ducks. Other highlights included black and turkey vultures (former roosting on the big brick chimney in Moosup), merlin, 2 winter wrens, 2 hermit thrushes, and a fox sparrow. In all I had 46 species in a territory where I usually struggle to get to 40.

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
@ssts