[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule for January

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 14:38:55 EST 2015

Folks, please note the following schedule of January NHBC activities.  Also, please check the website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, January 14, 2016, 7:00 pm.  Larry Fischer — The Owls of Western Connecticut.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.  Currently on the Northeast Hawk Watch Board of Directors, Larry is a federally licensed raptor bander who has been banding hawks, falcons, owls, and eagles for more than 30 years, working independently as well as with the CT DEEP and the U.S. Dept. of the Interior. Tonight he talks about owls, those endlessly fascinating birds, and specifically about the owl species found in CT west of the CT River. This program, illustrated with appealing slides of owls and owlets, focuses primarily on the species that breed in our backyards and back woodlots. Larry will talk about how common or how rare each species is and what their habitat requirements are. He’ll also discuss nest site selection and how to encourage some species to nest where they might be easily and safely observed with all-important care taken not to disturb the birds.  Larry will also talk about the species of owls that are seen only in winter and you’ll walk  away  from  the  meeting  armed  with  tips  he’ll  share  on improving your owl identification skills.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or 203-331-6067.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Harkness State Park, Waterford.  Wednesday, January 6, 2016, 8:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Today we explore this beautiful coastline park. It has ponds, fields, shrubs—and lots of shoreline. We will look for raptors, loons, grebes, all three scoters, Eiders (King Eider has been seen here), Bufflehead, and Goldeneye. Snow Bunting and Horned Lark are likely too. Meet in the parking lot, 275 Great Neck Rd., Waterford. Leader: Tina Green: 203-247-2660 or tina at renaissancestudios.com

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Saturday, January 9, 2016, 8:00 am.  Rain date: Sunday, Jan. 10.  Free and open to the public.  Join us as we visit this premier CT birding location for a mid-winter excursion.  We will be looking for sea ducks, shorebirds, grassland species, and winter finches. Meet at the Nature Center parking lot.  We will check several areas in the park, including the campgrounds area.  Leader and contact person: Paul Wolter: 860-681-5548 (cell) or pwolter6 at earthlink.net.

Milford Hotspots in Winter.   Saturday, January 23, 2016, 8:00 am.   Free and open to the public. Meet at the commuter lot off Exit 35 of I-95. We’ll look for waterfowl, birds of prey, and winter passerines as we visit Milford hotspots that will likely include Milford Point, Mondo Ponds, and Caswell Cove. Plan to carpool and dress warmly. The trip ends by noon. Inclement weather will probably cancel the trip. Check with the leader if you have weather concerns.  Leader: Frank Mantlik:  mantlik at sbcglobal.net

Larry Bausher

West Haven