[CT Birds] More about Gray Ghosts

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 28 23:15:52 EST 2015

I don't know the origins of "Gray Ghost" for Northern Harrier, but I've also heard the same term used for Northern Goshawk.  'Not very fitting for NG, at least when they scream at you, near woodland nest sites, centimeters from the nape of your neck.  I also like the old term "Blue Darter," for Goshawks, although that makes 'em sound like a member of the Odonata.

Speaking of ghosts, I've read that ghost mythology is derived from another raptor.  The whiteness, the two dark eyes, the weird noises, the ethereal shape in the air, at night, and those inhuman cries, all point to Barn Owl.
Steve Mayo
Bethany