[CT Birds] New London CBC highlights

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 20:55:36 EST 2016

I'm posting highlights for compiler Bob Dewire (who has done this for 52 straight NL CBCs, I believe)  There are a tentative 110 species with no report from the Orient Point ferry participants as of yet.  Please forgive any lack of detail or errors in some cases.  In no particular order:

Great Egret (11) - Rocky Neck SP
Snowy Egret - Rocky Neck SP
Wood Duck (38) - multiple locations, a new count record by 24
Common Raven (5) - record high?
Eastern Phoebe - Niantic
Pine Warbler - Niantic?
Yellow-breasted Chat - Haley Farm, upper thickets
Palm Warbler - In a shrub outside of the Daniel Packer Inne in downtown Mystic
Laughing Gull (3) - Ender's Island and Harkness SP
Northern Gannet (6) - Rocky Neck SP and Eastern Point Beach
American Pipits (88) - Groton Transfer Station (private) a new record by 71
Eastern Meadowlarks (11) - Groton Transfer Station and Groton-New London Airport (both private)
American Kestrel - Groton-New London Airport
Black Vultures - record high, outnumbered Turkey Vultures
Bald Eagles - record high
Pileated Woodpecker (CW) The previous count-day record is one.  This is a tough bird to find on the SE CT coast.  Four were seen yesterday, none today.
There were a few Purple Finches and Brown Thrashers around as well.

There were record highs for several woodpeckers and a few other species escaping memory at the moment.  Many duck species were hard to come by and shorebirds were a disappointment.  Since I began the count over 20 years ago, the Groton Long Point mud flats were a guarantee for Dunlin, Black-bellied Plover, and Ruddy Turnstone.  The latter two were completely missed today.

Glenn Williams