[CT Birds] Highlights from Stratford/New Haven

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Sun Jan 3 21:25:39 EST 2016

Many nice species today -- sorry I can't post from my phone. Belted kingfisher and great blue heron at the Stratford Shakespeare pond; canvasbacks, bufflehead, and hooded mergs at Stratford Frash pond. Two American Oystercatchers still at Short Beach, plus a large group of common goldeneye and smaller number of common eider out beyond breakwater -- visible with scope. Gadwall at Peck's Mill pond.

The highlight of the day was when I was looking in New Haven harbor from the Long Wharf area, watching a distant common loon with a scope and scanning for peregrines, when a man seated in a car near me came over and tapped me on the shoulder. He asked if I'd seen THAT bird, pointing directly down on the beach in front of us about 40' away. Apparently while I was watching the distance, a peregrine falcon took out a ring-billed gull in mid-air right in front of me, dropping onto the mudflats to tear it apart. I got some great photographs of it!

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville