[CT Birds] Snowy Owl, Canvasback and more Stratford to Norwalk

Ian Devlin captain_ian at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 14:28:01 EST 2016

Went with A.J. Hand to see my very first Snowy Owl. What a treat! Not fantastic views, but good enough. Very cold with the wind. Was there around noon until the owl was flushed away by an oblivious walker.

After that, we went to Birdseye ramp to look at the Coots. We then checked on Frash Pond and saw maybe 5-6 Canvasbacks far away on the northwestern side of the pond near some Canada Geese. Buffleheads, Gadwall, Hooded Mergansers and Mallard there too.

Stopped by the pond on the other side of the Post Road and the start of Sasco Creek to see Gadwall, Mallards and 7-8 Green-winged Teal.

Later on (2:15pm) I went to check on both Forteen Acre and Wood Ponds to try for an American Shoveler or Green-winged Teal. No dice, but saw a couple of Wood Ducks in pockets of water without skim ice feeding with Mallards, Mute Swans and Canada Geese. A buteo flew over, but not certain which one.

Last stop, I'll try for the Eurasian Wigeon by The Maritime Center before sunset.

Capt. Ian Devlin
East Norwalk, CT.

Sent from my iPhone