[CT Birds] Dead Dolphin, Stratford

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 7 10:22:31 EST 2016

On Jan 4 while searching for the Snowy Owl, I found a dead COMMON DOLPHIN in Stratford along the beach west of Stratford Point. I had walked east from the foot of Cove Place.  Photos taken and submitted to Mystic Aquarium's Marine Mammal Stranding unit confirmed the ID.  They had sent a volunteer to photograph, measure, and examine the carcass.
Once about 4 winters ago, while riding the New London-Orient ferry, I photographed a small pod of Common Dolphins off Orient, NY - also in Long Island Sound.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford