[CT Birds] State of the COA

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 09:34:52 EST 2016

Dear CTBirders,

We’ve had a very busy year.  I write to you today to encourage you to renew
your membership and to attend our always fun and informative annual
meeting.  Forms are in the mail.  If you are not a member, NOW is the time
to join.  You can do it right here:  http://www.ctbirding.org/join.htm

Why should YOU be a member of COA?  We have become a leading voice for the
birds in the State of Connecticut.  Here are some of the reasons:

   - Our listserve, CTBirds, provides a forum where current bird sightings
   and all bird related topics can be discussed.
   - Our calendar on the website gives up to date information about bird
   related activities throughout the state.
   - Our Avian Records Committee of Connecticut keeps the official
   Connecticut bird checklist and reviews rare sightings for inclusion on that
   list, 437 species, (so far!)
   - Our publication* The Connecticut Warbler* is a highly respected
   scientific journal in which educational articles, count records and other
   data from the state are documented.  It is circulated to all members and to
   many Universities and ornithological organizations.
   - Our quarterly *Bulletin* is a less formal publication showcasing items
   of interest including photos of recent rarities, workshop reports and the
   popular “25 Years Ago in the Warbler” series.
   - Our Mini-Grant program provides financial support for projects that
   benefit Connecticut’s birds.
   - Our many informative COA Workshops are a great way to have fun and
   improve your birding skills at the same time.
   - Our initiative to improve relations with DEEP has resulted in several
   important collaborations including being asked to provide the content for
   the “In the Air” (birds) exhibit section of the new Meigs Point Nature
   Center at Hammonasset.
   - We have testified in person and in writing regarding a number of
   environmental issues that have arisen around the state.
   - We have been given a seat on the Governor’s Important Bird Area
   Advisory Committee which meets quarterly.
   - The COA Research Committee has several projects focusing on Long
   Island Sound, both its birds and their environment. Those projects are done
   in collaboration with the birding and science community in CT and
   neighboring states. And its Black Rail project is searching for that
   elusive species in CT marshes and nearby, with some success.
   - Our Annual Meeting is where you can hear great speakers, have a hot
   lunch, shop at the vendor space, participate in the raffle and visit with
   birding friends old and new.

Join or renew today!

Kathy Van Der Aue, President