[CT Birds] 2015 Waterbird Nesting Results

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Fri Jan 15 12:33:39 EST 2016

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s
Wildlife Division (CT DEEP) has now released the official nesting
results for the state-threatened Least Tern and the federally-threatened
Piping Plover from the 2015 monitoring season, and the Audubon Alliance
for Coastal Waterbirds (AAfCW) – Audubon Connecticut and the Roger Tory
Peterson Institute of Natural History – has completed our American
Oystercatcher report. You can read the information in full here:
http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com/2016/01/2015-monitoring-results.html

The first bit of fantastic news is that we hosted a new all-time high
number of Piping Plover pairs in the state with 62 attempting to breed
on Connecticut beaches in 2015. These pairs were able to fledge 112
chicks, making it the second-highest total ever following our own record
of 116 from 2014. Thank you so much to all of our terrific monitors and
volunteers for making this possible!

2015 was also a historically successful year for the American
Oystercatcher in Connecticut! The population, consisting of 161
individuals that included 52 breeding pairs and 57 non-breeding
individuals, was spread out over 31 different sites including barrier
beaches and offshore islands. The breeding pairs successfully fledged an
astronomical total of 64 chicks resulting in 1.23 (chicks/breeding pair)
productivity.

Again, see more information in our blog:
http://ctwaterbirds.blogspot.com/2016/01/2015-monitoring-results.html

If you have not helped out before and are interested please email
ctwaterbirds at gmail.com to sign up as a volunteer or monitor this year.
Thanks again to those of you who helped out in 2015 to make this all
possible. We hope to see you back this season! We will have a reduced
staff and even less money for our work, making your efforts all the more
valuable to us.

Best,
Scott

--