[CT Birds] Birder/Law Enforcement Interaction

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 12:55:46 EST 2016

Most of you must be aware of the incident yesterday when a birder was
warned by an officer that parking at the East River boat launch was
restricted to use by boaters.  We felt this was unreasonable, especially
since the parking lot was empty. I have written to Deputy Commissioner for
Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation, Susan Whalen, about this incident
and our wish to clarify birder's access issues that have been troubling for
some time.  This is where things stand now:

Tom Tyler , Director of State Parks and Public Outreach, contacted Patrick
Comins to say that he had contacted the Colonel in charge of the DEEP
Conservation Officers who will investigate and attempt to discover which
officer it was.

Susan Whalen contacted me to say that she was at a staff retreat for the
day but would bring this to the attention of the appropriate parties and be
in touch as soon as possible.

I believe this gives us the opportunity to resolve the long simmering issue
of birder's and wildlife photographer's access to DEEP properties.  I'll
keep you informed.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut