[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Events

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Fri Jan 22 14:05:50 EST 2016

Folks,

Please note that the grim forecast for Saturday’s weather has resulted in the cancellation of tomorrow's NHBC field trip to Milford Hotspots.

Also, please note the following schedule of February NHBC activities, and check the website for information about the possibility of last minute cancellations.

Indoor Meeting:

February 11, 7:00 pm.  Members’ Night.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public. Don’t be bashful! Be sure not to miss this opportunity to add another 15 minutes of fame to your birding memoirs. Remember: You’ll be among the best of birding friends. Members’ Night is a chance to share your favorite photos, stories, birding haunts, and memories of birds and bird club activities with an appreciative audience. We will have slide and Power Point capability. Please contact Indoor Program Chair Andrea Kerin: 203-331-6067 or andrea at kerin.com with details of what you would like to show. Members’ Night is a lot of fun!  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday, February 3, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Enjoy a mid-week field trip to Hammonasset Beach State Park, one of the state’s best birding locations in any season of the year.  We will look for sea ducks, grassland species, and rarities.  Meet at the park entrance at 8:00 am (I-95, Exit 62).  Leader:  Greg Hanisek:  203-525-1558 or  ctgreg at yahoo.com.

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and Rhode Island Coast.  Saturday, February 27, 7:00 am.  Snow Date: Sunday, February 28.  Free and open to the public. This all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point NWR, Beavertail State Park, Moonstone Beach, Trustum Pond, and other great birding sites on the RI coast. We will see lots of sea ducks including all three scoter species, Common Eider, and Harlequin Duck.  We’ll look for birds of prey, including Rough-legged Hawk and several owl species.  We’ll also be on the lookout for alcids and rare gulls.  Dress warmly—it’s likely to be cold and windy on the coast. The walk is a bit strenuous.  Bring lunch and a scope, if you have one. Meet at the Branford commuter lot, Exit 55 off I-95. Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203-389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher
West Haven
NHBC Publicity