[CT Birds] Busy feeders with 2 continuing purple finch.

Brian K briankulvete at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 08:38:12 EST 2016

I have the usual suspects in large numbers in the yard this morning, and
pretty much all week.  Titmouse, house sparrows, goldfinch (LOTS), mourning
doves, bluejays, house finch, white-breasted nuthatch, a silly amount of
dark-eyed juncos, 3 beautiful male and 2 female cardinals, chickadees, a
single Carolina wren, downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers.

The really noteworthy species is the continuing purple finches.  I had 5 (4
males and a single female on Jan 9th.  I have since seen at least 2 males,
daily, and today there were 3 males.  I am thrilled they stuck around as
last year they showed up for a few days and were gone, during both
migration times.

I'm still awaiting some pine siskin or any other rare finches from the
north.
Last year I didn't get any siskin until March, but my habitat is fairly
new, as we've only been in the house for a little over a year now, but I
was hoping to hang on to some through this winter.  Perhaps in a more
irruptive year, but there's still time in this one.

We leave for Belize tomorrow morning.  Can't wait to see what we find down
there as we've never birded any tropical locations.  We'll be at the coast
and in the jungle.  If anyone wants to take a look at my photography
website, i'll try and update it while we're down there with what we see.

http://briankulvetenaturephotos.smugmug.com/

Thanks.

Brian Kulvete
Bloomfield, CT.