[CT Birds] Boat Launch

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Jan 29 10:47:58 EST 2016

Wow, quite a diatribe! I think its best to just let this go unanswered
and left out there hanging on its own merit. I think reasonably
intelligent people can figure this out.

However, a couple of points you made should be addressed. Your comment

Quote- ""The “ Birding” community seems to think it is exempt from all
> regulations and boundaries when it comes to pursuing
> Their hobby. How arrogant and snooty and elitist. The state and
> Encon see you as this as well as a bunch of whining ninnies"".

There is so much here I don't know where to start! First of all, the
States Guide identifies the East River area as a Wildlife Management
Area. In the Guide it lists "Bird Watching and Nature Viewing" as part
of the allowable usage for this "Wildlife Management Area" Well how
does that work? If you can't park there or use the parking lot to park
and "Observe Birds and Nature" isn't that a very notable
contradiction? Or is it that you can only view Birds and Wildlife from
a boat when you are fishing or duck hunting? What happens when the
boat ramp is frozen, the road covered with snow and ice and the river
frozen solid? I guess that means that the area is closed because you
can't launch a boat; no birding for all of us silly bird and nature
watchers unless you hitch a boat to your dog sled team or from a
Hovercraft! But make sure you have a trailer or a car top boat rack!

As far as the officers doing their jobs.....fantastic, good for them,
I personally applaud them! Isn't that what we want? I think everyone
is upset over the "suspect" signage rather than the officers doing
their jobs!

Quote- "Whining ninnies".....I like to think of ourselves as a group
of concerned citizens that question obvious contradictory messaging
from those who have imposed such unreasonable restrictions on the ones
that are using the location for the reasons listed in the printed
official guide.

Quote- "Elitist", haha, well isn't a written diatribe distinguishing
such "faults" with others in the community actually "elitist"?!

This quote is actually my favorite!- "exempt from all regulations and
boundaries when it comes to pursuing their (HOBBY).--- It occurred to
me that I know many professionals (all across the country, not just in
CT) who actually foster and promote Nature, its environment, and its
longevity! These "independent" professional people who study birds and
nature and convey their expertise and raise awareness by being
writers, photographers, scientists, artists, sculptors, research
biologists, and many more professions. The knowledge from what they
observe in the field they convey to everyone else to preserve, protect
and defend nature is unmatched.....and they do this personally without
working for any Government Organization, imagine that!

They/We assume all personal liability for being self-employed! Do you
actually think by writing a nasty diatribe is going to help this
cause....the cause of making the "non-nature loving" community aware
of the losing battle with our diminishing wildlife and natural
surroundings? Really? Speaking for myself as a professional avian
artist for 40 years who have donated generously to bird related causes
over these 40 years, your comments are highly offensive, and I am sure
the hundreds of other nature related professionals who have also
donated from their hearts would also find that comment very offensive
too! Assuming these people are not part of the Birding Community and
only working stiffs and "ninnies" who go birding as a hobby to relieve
stress is incredibly arrogant and snooty!

Quote- "It is SELFISH, RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE to disregard the rights
of other peoples hobbies and interests. Especially if the state deems
an area proprietary for a certain function. Yeah I agree.....just
check the State Guide about East River Wildlife Management
Area......."area open to Birdwatching and Nature Observation"!! That's
pretty clear to me!

Quote- "The world and state does not revolve around birders and
photographers. If the state designated an area for birding and nature
viewing" I won't even respond to that!

Quote- "So GET OVER IT AND ACCEPT THAT THERE ARE CERTAIN PLACES YOU WILL NOT
> BE ABLE TO ACCESS, No matter how rare the bird. Your desire to check
> another bird off your life list does not supersede state regulations
> and the rights of others.-------Wow that one is really arrogant and
> completely off the wall! There you go again assuming EVERY BIRDER
> chases birds for some little selfish stereotypical image of running
> birds down with a car or camera just to put a little check mark in a
> cheap birding journal! FOR THE RECORD.....I have absolutely no idea
> how many birds I have seen in my professional career, I don't keep a
> book and don't really care just how many birds I have seen, and I
> know there are a lot of them! IN FACT, the majority of my birding
> friends both professional and non-professional are more concerned
> about helping protect and preserving birds than keeping a list. To
> assume that all birders are only interested in checking off a bird
> name in a book is arrogant and offensive! You also imply that
> selfish and careless birders want to assume 100% rights to pursue
> their "HOBBY" and disregard everyone else's rights to use specific
> land is preposterous! Maybe your suggestion that "others" should
> only have the rights to this land and birders should back off and go
> away from the land in question designated for them to use! Huh! Who
> is being the elitist here?

Quote- "How ironic and appropriate that as I am composing this, I am watching
> Alfred Hitchcock’s  “The Birds “ on BBC America" !--No response needed here!

Kind of interesting the ones that are taking it on the chin by making
this unfortunate (and completely unreasonable) situation (and others
like it) are the ones most criticized for stepping up and bringing it
to the awareness of the community. I personally applaud everyone of
them! This motivation is not self-serving or selfish, it is to help
and benefit everyone! We can just sit back and let more land become
off limits to us "hobbyist" birders or nature lovers. Who knows maybe
we can eventually go out and enjoy nature from behind a big wall of
glass after paying a hefty admission. But of course, no cameras allowed!

This whole situation is ridiculous! Especially when some don't even
realize that bringing this to the table will benefit EVERYONE!!!

Keith Mueller
Killingworth