[CT Birds] Stratford Snow Buntings

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Jan 26 11:47:55 EST 2016

Snow Buntings seem to be a bit more regular since we got the snow, along with Horned Larks and a couple of American Pipits.    The entire field that has been plowed up for spring plantings is snow free because of the wind from the last storm.  The snow-free plowed earth seems to be attractive to them.
We have been scattering a lot of seed in and around that area.  Thank you to everyone who has donated seed!   We should be in good shape in that regard through February with some expected deliveries this week.   We may need some more help in February.

The Black-bellied Plovers continue to be regular on the north beach and numbers of Red-breasted Merganser, Greater Scaup, Common Goldeneye and Surf and  a few White-winged Scoters have grown in recent days.   We only had brief looks at a couple of drake Black Scoters last Friday before the storm. Harriers continue to be regular and Cooper's Hawks and yesterday a Sharp-shinned continue to patrol occasionally.

In other news, we are just about ready to go to contract on the water feature outside the office building for spring construction.   The addition of fresh water will really enhance the land birding at Stratford Point.   We also received an IBA small grant to replant the feed plots, which will be divided into two areas.  A smaller one near where we did it last summer and another one near the entrance gate, which will be a more sheltered location with more cover.

Thank you!

Phone: (203)405-9115
Your Legacy is Audubon's Future!