[CT Birds] Coventry lake is mostly open water

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 13:52:33 EST 2016

For the first time in 43 years (at least) Coventry Lake is 80  to 90% open
water, the entire main body of the lake. I have never seen any open  water
in February except occasionally over one of the springs. Yesterday it was
hard to tell, but it appeared that only about 15% was open, the rest
water-covered ice. Only the north and northeast coves are covered now. There  were a
few gulls around yesterday but I only saw 1 today. But if it stays open
I'm sure they will soon be back in force. Be very interesting to see if and
when  anything else shows up.
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com