[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbirds - East Hartford

Dasinger, Andrew M UTRC dasingam at utrc.utc.com
Fri Feb 5 14:04:59 EST 2016

2/5/2016 - East Hartford, United Technologies Research Center - after the snow stopped I noticed bird activity right below my office in a large yew. Hard to see but then a Rusty Blackbird popped up about 10 feet away! Saw more movement on the ground and determined there were at least 6 or 7 of them. Eventually these popped up too, and then something spooked them. Apparently they were the tip of the iceberg - a big flock flew out of about 50 birds, then 25, then 20 more, then 5, then 2, then 1, and finally about 10 more. I estimate about 120 birds total. They must have been up against the building, which I couldn't see from the second floor. I suspect this is a flock  that hangs out along the Hockanum River, not far away on the other side of I-84.
Andrew Dasinger, South Glastonbury