[CT Birds] Hermit Warbler

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Feb 12 11:38:43 EST 2016

Mealworms are a good idea.   The bird seems to be eating aquatic insects from the rocks at the edge of the river, so protein may not be an issue.  I also hear that some suet has been put out, which might help as well.     These birds can be surprisingly hardy, but it may still need every bit of protein and fat that it can muster in the coming days!

Hopefully it has a nice thick evergreen stand to roost in overnight, but birds are highly endothermic, so calories are a key to their survival when conditions get cold.

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115
Your Legacy is Audubon’s Future!