[CT Birds] Hermit warbler YES

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 16:08:32 EST 2016

This bird is clearly thriving at the moment, primarily by eating various arthropods picked up along the edge of the water. It probably also is finding arthropod eggs, larvae and pupae in trees, the way G-c Kinglets do in surviving northern winters. Dave Rosgen, who found the bird, noted that it was picking at Sycamore seed balls, which probably hold some of the tiny arthropod material. A surprising amount of the animal material is available all winter in bark crevices, needle clusters, evergreen cones etc. for birds capable of extracting it. Hermit Warblers have a history (in very small numbers) of attempting to winter at our latitude or even a bit father north in the East. How well they do is surely unknown, but these are outliers, little pioneers. If they were really successful, we'd probably be seeing more of them in winter in the Northeast.  This one has most likely has already survived a few months in our area.
Greg HanisekWaterbury