[CT Birds] Fw: Great Backyard Bird Count, highlights

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sun Feb 14 14:33:11 EST 2016

Let's see if this works in a better format:

As of right now, we stand at 131 species for Connecticut on the Great Backyard Bird Count.  Not bad considering the weather.

Here are some highlights of the count so far Some of these may be occurring at multiple locations:

Greater White-fronted Goose in Simsbury (at least)

Snow Goose, West Hartford

Eurasian Wigeon, Fairfield

Northern Pintail, Fairfield and probably other locations.

Redhead in at least Fairfield

Canvasback in Stratford

Barrow's Goldeneye in Madison

Ruddy Duck, Fairfield

Pied-billed Grebe, Fairfield

Northern Gannet, Stonington

Both cormorants

Great Egret, Fairfield

Both vultures

Rough-legged Hawk, Stratford

American Coot, Stratford

Black-bellied Plover, Stratford

Killdeer, UCONN

Greater Yellowlegs, Greenwich

Purple Sandpiper, Harkness

Wilson's Snipe, UCONN

Razorbill, Stonington

Iceland Gull (high count is 3 in Tolland, which is a bit strange, but I'm sure there's at least one other out there)

Lesser Black-backed Gull, Southport

Glaucous Gull, reported from Wallingford, not sure if this has been confirmed.

American Kestrel, Stratford

Merlin Woodstock (i had one in Stratford but haven't entered yet)

Peregrine Falcon

Red-breasted Nuthatch, scattered reports

Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Barkhamsted

Townsend's Solitaire, Greenwich

Hermit Thrush, scattered I'm sure

Gray Catbird, Bantam Lake (at least)

Brown Thrasher, Hammo (at least)

American Pipit, Hartford

Lapland Longspur, Bridgeport

Snow Bunting, Stratford at least

35 Yellow-rumped Warblers at Hammo

The Hermit Warbler

White-crowned Sparrow, in Lebanon at least

Savannah, Field, Chipping, Swamp Sparrows, scattered I'm sure

Dickcissel, Sherwood

Boat-tailed Grackle, Stratford

Baltimore Oriole, Hammo at least

Purple Finches, scattered

Report of Common Redpoll in Madison that probably needs checking out

Pine Siskins, scattered.

Thanks for your help, good luck and find something good!

Patrick and Greg.

Phone: (203)405-9115

Your Legacy is Audubon's Future!