[CT Birds] Possible oriole at Mystic feeder - immature, or maybe a female Bullocks??

Carol Ansel carolansel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:20:08 EST 2016

Had a very unusual visitor on my mealworm feeder as I was about to head out the door for work today. Grabbed my camera out of the bag and dashed off a bunch of shots before the bird flew from the bird bath. I checked my bird book (I’m afraid I’m still a Peterson’s girl) and the best match I could see was oriole - and judging by the white on the belly it said immature Bullocks to me - the book says “stragglers occur in winter along eastern seaboard, especially at feeders”
It doesn’t really have the dark eye line, but the belly is definitely not yellow. Peterson also says they sometimes hybridize.
Looking at the All About Birds entry leaves me undecided - the rest of my books are at home and i’m at work.

Check out the pix and let me know what you think.

Carol Ansel

Open a Zenfolio account with my referral code RHW-JFH-37F and save 10%