[CT Birds] Volunteers Needed for Shorebird Monitoring 2016

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Thu Feb 11 11:40:18 EST 2016

/The Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds 2016 monitoring and
stewardship season is about to begin! Please see the USFWS news release
below for details, and please pass this along to any new volunteers you
feel would be interested in joining us. We hope all our past monitors
will be returning this year after yet another record-setting season in
2015. We can only keep this success going with your help!/

Spend your summer days at the beach and help protect a federally
threatened species! The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and its partners
are seeking volunteers to monitor piping plovers and other shorebirds
from early April until late August at beaches across our state. A
training and orientation session for new volunteers will be held on
*Saturday, March 12th **2016 *from 10:30am to 12:00noon at the*Audubon
Connecticut at Stratford Point, 1207 Prospect Drive, Stratford, CT
06615*; past volunteers will be offered a refresher from 9:00am to
10:15am. The sessions will review the following: biology of the piping
plover, how to monitor breeding pairs and chicks, volunteer organization
and logistics, and law enforcement information.

Atlantic Coast populations of piping plovers return to the Connecticut
coast in March from their wintering grounds on the Gulf Coast and
Caribbean. The cryptic nests of the piping plover are extremely
susceptible to human disturbance, predation, and tidal wash outs. To
enhance the survival and productivity of birds breeding in Connecticut,
volunteers work at locations across the shoreline to observe the
shorebirds, record and report nesting data, and educate the beach-going
public about the monitoring program. Volunteers work 4 hour shifts from
April until the end of the breeding season (usually in August) and must
donate a minimum of 4 hours per month. The work can be very rewarding,
as volunteers will have the opportunity to positively impact nesting
success for threatened shorebirds across the state.
For more information on the training session or for directions, please
email USFWS Visitor Services Manager Shaun Roche at shaun_roche at fws.gov.
Reservations are not required; but an e-mail letting us know you will be
attending is appreciated.

This training session is co-sponsored by the Audubon Alliance for
Coastal Waterbirds (Audubon Connecticut and the Roger Tory Peterson
Institute of Natural History) and the Connecticut Department of Energy &
Environmental Protection (DEEP).

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator