[CT Birds] (no subject)

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 12:54:19 EST 2016

Three Cheers, Kathy! I can't imagine a better outcome, all  things
considered. Perhaps some more "eyes-on" meetings might solve some of our  other
Great job, keep up the good work!
Don Morgan, Coventry,  Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 08:22:26 -0500
From: Kathy Van Der Aue  <kathyvda at gmail.com>
To: List CT Birds  <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>, "Whalen,    Susan"
<Susan.Whalen at ct.gov>,     Tom Tyler  <Tom.Tyler at ct.gov>, "Payton, Mike"
<Mike.Payton at ct.gov>,     mary mushinsky  <marymushinsky at att.net>
Subject: [CT Birds] Resolution of the East  River Boat Launch Access
<CAOEr3xX1Q4rOw3oVW=MT8fpEvOkzgYPoXwj4DjvX5X3PS2SY1g at mail.gmail.com>

Keith Mueller and I met Thursday afternoon with  Mike Payton of the Boating
Division, Jenny Dickson and Ann Kilpatrick of the  Wildlife Division and
John Torres of the Environmental Conservation  Police to discuss the East
River Boat Launch site access issues.  We all  agreed that the parking lot
sign limiting parking to boat trailers etc. was  misleading and they have
agreed to remove the sign and replace it with signs  designating certain
parking spaces for boat trailers.  The remaining  spaces will be for public
parking on a first come, first served basis. They  also plan to put in
concrete parking bumpers to try and organize the parking  in the lot as
spaces are undesignated right now.  The confusing signage  will also be
changed in other lots, such as the Great Island lot, over  time.

We additionally discussed the possibility of having a few  spaces along the
wider part of the access road designated for standing only  (so a person
could sit in the car with binoculars and survey the Saltmarsh  Sparrows).
Upon measuring the road and finding that this would be possible as  the road
was 28 feet wide, it was agreed that this could also be done.   There will
be absolutely no parking on the other side of the access  road.  Given a
choice of which side of the road to designate for  standing spaces, we chose
the side which allowed the driver's side to have  the best viewing (the
right side as you go in toward the lot).  These  spots will be on the
portion of the road which is a little more elevated to  reduce the
possibility of flooding. The area will be clearly marked with  signs that
indicate only standing ?parking? for wildlife viewing will be  allowed and
it must be between the signs. Having a designated section will  help address
concerns about emergency access and prevent the creation of  pinch points at
sections where the access road narrows.

They  ask for our patience as they need several layers of approvals in this
tight  budget year for ordering the signs and concrete parking bumpers, but
expect  it can be accomplished this spring.  As of now it is my
understanding  that the lot can be used for parking without fear of drawing
attention from  the EnCon police.   As to "Standing" along the access road,
it is  still marked "No Parking" on both sides.  Until the signs are
the situation is in flux and I ask you to respect the signs.  I  suspect
Officers would use their discretion if there was some exciting rarity  that
drew birders to the spot before the signs are changed, but they would  not
be legally required to do so.

Please let me know of any  further concerns that you may have about this
issue.  I am personally  very grateful that our concerns were met with such
respect by Mike Payton and  am very happy with the result.  Jenny Dickson
and Ann Kilpatrick were  understandably concerned that the marsh not be
infringed upon as it is  valuable habitat for high conservation priority
species such as the Saltmarsh  Sparrow.  Officer John Torres was concerned
with access for emergency  vehicles if there are cars standing alongside the
access road but he agreed  that the width of the road was sufficient for
emergency access.  I  believe these concerns are valid and ask all of you to
be most careful when  using these areas to be sure not to block emergency
access or infringe upon  the marsh.

Thanks to Keith for bringing this matter to COA's  attention.

Kathy Van Der Aue
?, President, COA?

Southport,  Connecticut
Visit my Blog at  http://naturaliststable.wordpress.com