[CT Birds] Unknown Hawk

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Wed Feb 17 09:49:29 EST 2016

I have to say that I love when someone posts an ID quiz like this.  The immature accipiters are a challenge for me and many birders out there, novice and advanced birders alike, I think.  When I look at this bird, the immediate knee-jerk reaction is coopers, based on the long tail, thin dark streaks on the breast, and the head shape, plus the size and shape (barrel-shaped body) just looks like a coop. The tail looks more square, which is a Sharpie trait, but I think it is just how the tail feathers are positioned.  My guess on this bird is a Coopers.

Jim