[CT Birds] Probable Ross's Goose in Vernon

Dan Drega federal3t22 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 10:34:07 EST 2016

Anyone in the Vernon, Manchester, Ellington area may want to check over any goose flock they come across. I had a small white goose with black wing tips that seems right for a Ross's flying with a flock of about 20 Canada Geese over Talcottville Rd (RT 83) by the Cardio Express across from Merline Rd in Vernon around 4:30pm yesterday afternoon while stopped at the light. I followed the flock over to Lower butcher Rd in Ellington, where I lost them, most likely landing in one of the nearby cornfields. I was unable to grab my binoculars, or grab a photo before the light changed. I suspect this maybe the same Ross's that frequented the Broad Brook mill pond and the cornfield on Frog Hollow Rd in Ellington. I'll take a drive around today to see if I can locate it.
Dan Drega