[CT Birds] Meriden birds 1886

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Feb 16 16:04:19 EST 2016

>> Meriden birders with a quiet evening might want to
>> enter this list onto eBird as historical sightings.

I have no idea now well eBird is set up for entering historical sightings made by someone else.

However there is an active project that has a mass of historical data on paper and is trying to digitize it, the North American Bird Phenology Program.  I don't know how widely known it is.

"The North American Bird Phenology Program, part of the USA-National Phenology Network, was a network of volunteer observers who recorded information on first arrival dates, maximum abundance, and departure dates of migratory birds across North America. Active between 1880 and 1970, the program was coordinated by the Federal government and sponsored by the American Ornithologists' Union. It exists now as a historic collection of six million migration card observations, illuminating almost a century of migration patterns and population status of birds. Today, in an innovative project to curate the data and make them publically available, the records are being scanned and placed on the internet, where volunteers worldwide transcribe these records and add them into a database for analysis."

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bpp/AboutBPP2.cfm

The organizers scan the paper records.  Volunteers working through their web site can bring them up to read and enter into their system, working in whatever spare time they care to "donate" and at their own pace.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT